Nowadays, we are living in a world where surveillance has become a real threat. Online privacy is becoming a real issue as the dystopias painted by Orwell and other great authors seem to be inching closer to reality as the days go by. It is not even a question of what you are doing online as all our online activities have been proven to be traceable.
That is why more and more people have started making use of VPN (virtual private network) software. In fact, more than a sixth of the total online users are making use of these applications along with their internet connections. These programs are specifically designed to help hide your identity and your location, that way, you can rest assured that your browsing activities will remain anonymous.
Benefits of Using Virtual Private Networks
With the level of security and anonymity they can provide, VPNs can come in handy in more ways than one. Here are some of the benefits of these programs.
- Accessing Blocked Sites – By shielding your identity and location, these VPNs give users the chance to open websites that would have been inaccessible, otherwise. For instance, there are many video and television sites which make use of geo-locking as a means to block out visitors from certain countries. Of course, there are also other websites which have been blocked by governments. By making use of a VPN, a user can effectively bypass these limitations. Needless to say, it has a lot of potential in terms of circumventing censorship and preserving the freedoms offered by the internet.
- Additional Web Security – It may come as a surprise to most, despite the increased awareness of web users, many of them still click on dangerous links. The statistics come from the data presented by a security firm and it shows that as many as 45% of internet users still do this. Luckily, a VPN can be of use in this regard. This is because some of these programs also make use of malware blocking and URL filtering. Needless to say, this will be extremely helpful to the tech-savvy users. Such features essentially prevent you from accidentally contracting a virus online or stumbling into a phishing site.
- Increased Connection Security – Connecting to public Wi-Fi spots may be convenient but they can also be pretty risky. This is because you are essentially exposing yourself to the dangers presented by an unsecured connection. Luckily, by making use of a VPN, you can avoid these dangers altogether.
Choosing a Virtual Private Network Program
Before anything else, readers should understand that web criminals have also amped up their efforts online by creating seemingly harmless programs and using them against the user. That is why you should do your research and make sure that you get your facts straight before downloading anything.
That being said, here are a couple of great VPNs that you should try.
- TunnelBear – This program is incredibly simple and user-friendly. Turn it on, select your desired location, and the internet traffic will be automatically rerouted.
- Windscribe – A Free VPN program that offers users a generous data cap.
To protect your identity online, make sure that you give these VPNs a try.